Helpful safety tips for new homeowners in Toledo
If you recently acquired your first home or you’re approaching the date to close, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for your family. You might be pondering the ways you can individualize your house with furnishings, paint, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, be sure you examine home security too. Keeping the ones you care about safeguarded should always be a primary emphasis, and we’ll show you how with these safety tips for new homeowners in Toledo.
Perform a safety review of your new Toledo property
Now that safety is at the forefront, find out what your new home has in place. To start, make certain you have operational smoke alarms. Test all of them and replace batteries if necessary. Do you have CO detectors? Did you find a water sensor in the cellar? This is also an excellent time to upgrade door locks and inspect all window locks. Go room-by-room and scope out your new house.
Smart security tips for your Toledo home
Once you’ve completed your preliminary check of safety devices and locking systems, you may think about enhancing your property’s defense. To get started, consider these security tips for your home in Toledo.
- Opt for a new home security system. One of the top things a new homeowner in Toledo can do is integrate a home security system. The latest in wireless technology allows you to keep a close watch on your residence even when you’re not there. You can view real-time video footage, operate locking systems, and even communicate with visitors at your door right from your cell phone. You can even personalize your defense with worthwhile security implements such as video cameras and monitored safety alarms.
- Upgrade outside lights. Outdoor lights with motion detection are an effective solution in discouraging potential burglars. You can even integrate them with video cameras. When a motion sensor is tripped, it can instruct your outdoor camera to begin recording.
- Maintain your yard. Do you have an unblocked perspective of your property from the interior? Are there overgrown trees and bushes obstructing the view? Eliminate possible places to hide by keeping your yard well groomed. Your neighbors will be appreciative of it too.
- Meet people in your area. One more thing about your neighbors, get to know them. If you know people nearby, there’s a greater likelihood they’ll advise you if they discern suspicious behavior. You may also connect to your neighborhood’s social media group if one is created.
- Take advantage of home automation. If you opt for a modern smart home, you can make it seem like you’re inside by illuminating smart light bulbs at scheduled times. This is a fantastic tool when you’re away.